Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rocking-horse winner

The theme of this short story is that wealth and luck are not the most important things in life. The Rocking-Horse Winner is a story about a boy named Paul and his journey to find the meaning of luck. What was the name of the boy’s Uncle? Why does the boy imagine his house is talking to him? Do gamblers you know rely on luck?

I actually enjoyed this short story. Master Paul seems to be very intelligent for his age. Although it is probably not wise for young boy to already know so much about gambling, it is amazing how his rocking horse gives him the inspiration for his pick. However, I do believe that luck has a lot to do with his winnings.

On a deeper level I don’t think that he wants to keep the horse because it gives him the answer to which horse will win. I think that he won’t let the horse go, because it is the only thing that has been with him his whole life. Both of his parents are not involved in his life and he has been taken care of by a nanny since he was born. It is very unfortunate that he dies in the end, and I think that his mother realizes at the end that she has driven her son to this state. Her remarks about how luck and wealth were everything, killed the boy. He tried so hard to put luck back in his parents’ lives that it killed him.

This story has good syntax and organization built in it. I admired the author’s word choice and the flow he created. I actually felt a connection with the story, and I think that’s why I enjoyed it.

1 comment:

amypfan said...

Great point about why he wants to keep the horse.