Monday, September 8, 2008

Araby

This short story, Araby, is about a boy’s fascination with Mangan’s sister and his quest to live his fantasy. The theme is that childhood creates these fantasies and in the end we must deal with the fact that they are foolish and will end. What is the name of the event the boy goes to? How is the aunt involved in the boy’s life. Do you know of anyone who has been in the same situation as the boy.

I was intrigued by this story and again I kind of liked it. Amazing, I know. However, I do feel the syntax and pace of the story were not in sync. I think that Joyce tries to rush his stories. I’m not saying I couldn’t comprehend the story, it’s just that he doesn’t pause to let his audience become attached to his writing. On the other hand, his style and use of rhetoric really put the story together. I thought his epiphany at the end for the boy was a great place to end the story. It leaves the reader wanting more, but also puts a wrap on the story.

Joyce’s writing is very intellectual and exemplifies a lot of thought. His stories it seems will always pose a lesson to be learned. I look forward to reading more of his writings and discussing them.

No comments: