Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Awakening 1

In these first four chapters of the novel we are introduced to Edna, her husband, Leonce, her friend, Adele, Madame Lebrun, and Robert Lebrun. We get a sense of the life that Edna lives. She is very privilegded. Her family retires to summer house in New Orleans where the rich stay and she has servants that will tend to her every need. However, Edna does not feel like she fits well the crowd. All of the people that surround her are creoles and they have very different customs that she does not care to partake. As an average American she feels left out and can find no one to confide in except Robert. Leonce is a man that keeps to himself. He is very much full of himself and he is quite attached to his job. He can’t understand why Edna is not like the rest of the “mother-women”.

To go with these observations, I am wondering how the exercise in class was supposed help me. I kind of feel like I know the ending already and the novel is a little worthless now. However, I am enjoying it and it is a very simple read to me. I look forward to the next chapters.

No comments: