Tuesday, November 27, 2007

potential ideas

I have a couple ideas for my inquiry contract. I wanted to think of topics that have affected or are currently affecting me. The first thing that came to my mind was the amount of time you have to wait after you turn sixteen to get your license. I never have understood why you must wait a month and one day after your birthday, and then you must wait three months after that to take anyone with you who is younger than 21. I have some good solutions in mind for this idea. The next thing I thought about was the credit AP students receive for their classes. I think that our classes need to be weighted. Students take AP courses as a challenge and it should be treated like an honors course. AP grades should be worth more than regular class grades. I have solutions for this one as well. I think I will be able to discuss these fairly easy, and I have a good background of information.

2 comments:

Kendal said...

Nickelodeon-

First of all, I really like both of the topics that you are considering for the paper. Both of them, I also feel very strongly about.

The not getting your license until a month and a day after you are 16 really bothers me. I do not think that one month and one day are really going to make a difference in how you drive. And then the no driving with other people for 6 months is just outrageous. Some people have siblings and friends that need rides, and their parents need help getting them around. You could interview anyone in our class for this, and you have personal experience to write about which is good.

I am in two AP classes just like you, so I also would like to have our GPA's weighted. Most other schools do this, and I think it's a good idea. AP classes are nowhere near the same level as regular classes, therfore when you do well in them, you should be rewarded with a higher GPA. I think it would be harder to write about this because, technically it doesnt make a difference to colleges that we don't weight out GPA's. They understand how challenging our curriculum is.

Allie said...

Nick-

You have some great ideas here. I've never been one much for driving, as you know... I'm not getting my license until sometime next week, but I was turned off even more by the three month rule. However, it has been statistically proven that the first three months oen has their license is the likeliest time for a crash. But it makes me wonder if we would drive more carefully if we had someone else in the car? I can't really answer that, but it's something to think about.

In regard to AP classes, I definately agree with you. Take Fadely's class for an example. We have a completely ridiculous homework load and cover the material much more in depth than the regular U.S. class, and yet our grade is weighted the same. AP English is also challenging and deserves to be weighted more than the regular class. I'm sure all other AP's taught at our school deserve the same recognition.