Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sex in the media

While reading this excerpt about advertising and sexuality, I tended to agree with Kilbourne’s argument. Sex does sell, and it is very useful when trying to promote a product. Men do seek power and domination. However, I wouldn’t say that the majority of males want to go out and just have sex with every girl they can. Advertising may say this or promote it, but not everyone listens. I personally never watch commercials. I am a channel surfer. So, last night was kind of hard for me to sit and watch just one channel for half an hour. The commercials to me are boring and full of crap.
I do agree with Kilbourne that women are portrayed as the “prey” or accomplishment of a challenge. Women are exposed in these ads, but the women that are modeling chose this. Men are exposed in the media as well. The use of sex goes both ways, but I do think that women are targeted more. I personally think that it is wrong, but honestly its just a commercial or ad. Most people don’t pay attention. If people took everything they saw on television seriously, our world would be full of lunatics.

No comments: