Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Awakening: End

The ending is definitely a significant one. Her ending her life in the sea shows her completely letting go and being free. However, it is also a selfish act. She has no respect for herself or care about the ones that love her. I feel no sympathy for Edna. Adele’s last words should have stuck in her mind. “Think of the children” is something she did not think about. Mothers would not take their life if they truly loved their children. Edna does not love her children or anyone for that matter.

Putting all of this aside I must comment on the rest of ending prior to this. There is more lusting and sex between Edna and Alcee. However, Robert comes back into the picture. I hate that he comes to back to her. Why can’t he see the writing on the wall that supposedly she loves him, but she is still married and having sex with Alcee. He must be an idiot. Anyway they both confess their love for each other and plan to have a romantic time, but the birth of Adele’s child interrupts them.

While I was indifferent to the book and kind of liked it for a while, I have defined my view on it. Its not that I hate the book, I dislike Edna and everything she stands for in life. I think the book was well written. My concluding thought on this story is that for a fact Edna was mentally insane.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I agree it was a selfish act because her life wasn't that bad. She had children and a husband who loved her. She obviously didn't think about how her dying would severely effect their lives. However, sometimes it is hard to understand people who commit suicide. Their mind be very messed up and complicating.

Even though today in class people did not think Edna as a "whore", I still think she sort of acted like one. She has a husband who provides her with everything while at the same time she is in love with Robert while have sex with this other guy. It's obvious she is a confused woman. It seems just because he does not want to be with her that she gets the notion that there isn't a purpose in life.

I thought this book was interesting. I can see how it caused much controversy when it was written. I am sure society was not ready to think about women being the seducers instead of men.

Tina said...

I agree that it was a selfish act, as no consideration of her children were in her mind. If she wants to take drastic measures, she could always divorce her husband and move out of creole society. Even so, this would cause severe effects on her children. I can understand that she dug herself into a very deep hole that she didn't really see an end to, but at the same time there was an outlet, and the outlet was her children.