Friday, September 7, 2007

Torture

I believe that torture should be legalized and allowed in certain situations. Michael Levin makes some really good points in the handout from class. It is better to torture or kill a few people, then to let hundreds or thousands of innocent civilians die. Torturing people is not done to just humiliate certain people. It is a form of obtaining needed information from criminals who refuse to release that needed info.

Levin gives examples in the handout of why we should use the torture method, but he also explains that torture is barbaric and we should not stoop to that level. I do believe that torture is inhumane, but it is necessary for specific situations. As Levin states, “Mass murder is far more barbaric. If you caught the terrorist, could sleep nights knowing that millions died because you couldn’t bring yourself to apply the electrodes.”

People die everyday in this world. If one person must die or be harmed, so that others will survive action must be taken. Torture is needed in our judicial system. We must use any method necessary to save the lives of the innocent.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I completely agree with Nick on this subject, that sometimes you must torture or kill a few people, so that you save the lives of the innocent.

I like how he brought up the fact that torture is barbaric and it should only be used in extreme circumstances, such as a terrorist with a bomb threat or any situation where a few people threaten the lives of many.

The closing paragraph is the favorite for me, because he says that torture should be in our judicial system not just an idea, so that when the time comes. We will be ready.

Katie said...

Hey Nick!

I agree with you. Torture should be allowed in some cases, if it is saving many people. It is better to torture one person who is causing harm, than to let thousands of innocent people get harmed by the criminal. Lives are too important to let one person endanger them. Torturing the terrorist is not killing and if it proves to be successful, then no one has to die in the end. We should try to use any method to save those innocent lives.

Also, I agree with you and how it is inhumane, but necessary in specific situations. Personally, if I was put in the situation of choosing whether to torture a terrorist to save many or to hold to my morals, I would definitely choose to torture the terrorist. I could not live knowing that many people were killed because of my lack of acting upon the situation.

I liked you concluding paragraph and your references to the article. Nice Job!